|Graphic by T. Mannis, Chicago News Bench|
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Obama vowed to use executive orders to go around the wishes of voters and their elected representatives in Congress to achieve goals that have so far eluded him. Obama specifically promised to sign an executive order that would raise the minimum wage for some Americans by requiring federal contractors to pay their employees at least $10.10 per hour.
Urging a “year of action,” he pitched what he called “concrete, practical proposals” to boost the middle class and build “new ladders of opportunity” for others to enter it. “Some require congressional action, and I’m eager to work with all of you,” Obama said. “But America does not stand still – and neither will I. So wherever and whenever I can take steps without legislation to expand opportunity for more American families, that’s what I’m going to do.” ~ Fox News
Obama issued 166 executive orders between 2009 and 2013 (Source: Federal Register).
- Ed Rollins: Obama's Executive Order Moves 'Very Dangerous' Newsmax
- Obama To Double-Down On Executive Orders WND
- Obama vows to act without Congress in 2014, amid second-term woes Fox News
- Transcripts: President Obama's 2014 State of the Union address, GOP rebuttal CNN
- State of the Union: What Obama can and can't do by executive order LA Times
- Obama ‘won’t be waiting on Congress,’ plans more executive orders... Washington Times
- Obama's Plan To Seize Control Of Our Economy And Our Lives Forbes
- Martial Law by Executive Order Huffington Post