Connect

Will CTA Close Jarvis Red Line Station? Maybe!

January 25, 2011 - Chicago - This is a first: I'm agreeing with 49th Ward Alderman Joe Moore. He's sounding the alarm over the CTA's proposal to shut down the Jarvis station in Rogers Park. That would be bad. CTA wastes a hell of a lot of money elsewhere, so what's the reasoning? Attend a public meeting on Wednesday, January 26 to learn more. Also see details below in an excerpt written by Ald. Moore on his own website: I just learned today that three of the six options the CTA is considering in its proposed "improvements" to the Red and Purple line include the permanent closing of the Jarvis el station. This is unacceptable. As I reported to you last week, the CTA is hosting a series of "public scoping meetings" to discuss the proposals. I urged you to attend the 49th Ward meeting to join me in pushing for improvements to the Jarvis, Morse and Loyola stations. Little did I know that not only were improvements to Jarvis not contemplated, the CTA was in fact thinking about closing the station! At this point, no funding for the Red Line improvements has been identified and the work is still many years away, but it's not too early to state loudly and clearly that the Jarvis el station must stay open. Join me at the CTA's "public scoping meeting" TOMORROW (Wednesday, January 26th), 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. at New Field School, 1707 W. Morse (at Clark). Tell the CTA you OPPOSE the closing of the Jarvis el Station. Instead, demand the CTA give our community a long overdue NEW Jarvis Station, as well as improvements to the Morse and Loyola stations. I apologize for the last minute notice, but as I indicate above, I just learned today that the CTA was contemplating the closing of Jarvis. [Here is] a flier urging people to attend the meeting. Please feel free to make copies of the flier and distribute to your friends and neighbors: Save_the_Jarvis_El[1].pdf (115 KB) Read more at Ald. Moore's website....