Connect

Mark Kirk Afraid to Debate Patrick Hughes? (Yep)

January 30, 2010 - Patrick Hughes is running for the U.S. Senate against Congressman Mark Kirk. Both are Republicans, but only Hughes is a true conservative. Kirk has been widely derided as a RINO, especially for his yes vote on Cap and Trade. 

Today, with the primary election next Tuesday, February 2, Hughes challenges Kirk to a debate - again. 

The following is from the Hughes Campaign: 

In Early September of 2009 I kicked off my campaign for U.S. Senate in Illinois. I knew that Illinois needed a Conservative option on the ballot and Mark Kirk is no Conservative. So I began to travel the state and go wherever Republican voters had gathered. I went to township meetings, county party meetings, voter education fairs, candidate forums, debates, and whatever else you can think of. I traveled the Chicago suburbs, Rockford, Peoria, Bloomington, Champaign, Springfield, Alton, Effingham, Shelbyville, and anywhere else in the state that I could. I did it all for the voters of Illinois because I understood how important for them to know who the candidates are before they go vote on February 2nd. 

Today we are just days away from the primary election and I can't help but wonder, "Where has Mark Kirk been." Of all the events that I have been to, I have only seen him a few times. He has had no problem going to editorial board meetings and running commercials full of deceit, but he has refused to face the voters of Illinois and answer their questions of Illinois? 

Illinois voters want to know why Mark Kirk voted for Cap and Trade, why he sponsors over $81 million in earmarks for his campaign donors and voted for billions in other earmark projects, why he bailed out the banks that have now contributed nearly $800,000 to his campaign, why he supports partial birth abortion, why he opposed the Iraq troop surge, why he threatens our national security by forcing us to depend on foreign oil and not drill for our own, and on and on. These are questions Mark Kirk has dodged, and the time for dodging has come to an end.

Mark Kirk has ignored the voters of Illinois by refusing to attend candidate forums and debates. He has turned his back to the voters of this state and the democratic process as a whole. 

That is why I am publicly calling on Mark Kirk to accept an invitation to debate me before the Tuesday primary. I understand the hectic schedule of the finals days of a campaign, but the people of Illinois deserve a chance to hear a debate. So the question is, does Mark Kirk actually respect the voters of Illinois? Will he debate me and show the voters of Illinois that he is ready to stand up for them in the U.S. Senate? How can we trust a guy to stand up for all of Illinois as a Senator if he won't stand up for himself in a debate? 

Call Mark Kirk's office today, 847-498-0300, ask him why he won't face Illinois voters and tell him to accept my debate challenge. Help me find Mark Kirk. Patrick Hughes 

RELATED: