Dear Mr. Moore

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 From: "Tom Mannis" Subject: Add me to your mailing list To: ward49@cityofchicago.org Dear Alderman Moore: I have lived in the 49th Ward for nearly nine years. I run a blog in the neighborhood. The fact that I am a blogger certainly does not make me special, but I know that you and your people are aware of my blog. You and I have had conversations about my blog. Alex Armour, one of your campaign workers, was well aware of my blog and sometimes wrote comments on it. You also know that I am making a video oral history of Rogers Park. I am certain that, as our alderman, you will be supportive of a video oral history project. I have an open invitation to anyone who lives or works in Rogers Park to be part of the project as an interview subject. I've been rough on you on my blog, but the video project is not a political piece in any way. If you were a major politician, would you snub an interview with CBS or NBC or ABC if one of their shows was critical of you? Not if your publicist was smart, you wouldn't. So think of me as a very tiny, microscopic CBS. One of my shows has been critical. Now another of my shows hopes for your participation in an objective, non-partisan production. As our alderman, Mr. Moore, you are (obviously) an important part of the community. It would be a shame to finish the project without you having consented to a brief interview, in which you are welcome to say anything you wish. Anything at all. No tough questions, Mr. Moore, just a rolling video camera. You are encouraged to say whatever you wish for posterity. You can even call me names, any names you wish, and I would not edit that out. I promise. I - and many others - hope you will participate. We look forward to hearing from you. P.S. - Mr. Moore, I have never been added to your office's email list, although I've asked on several occassions to be added. Please add me now to your email list so that I - like other residents of the ward - can receive your valuable information updates about meetings and events. Please add rogersparkbench@yahoo.com to your email info blast list. That would be appreciated. Sincerely, Tom Mannis

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joe, I don't know if you're gonna read this, and I'm sure you hate me too, but blowing off bloggers is not smart. For starters, MSM reporters find news ideas, or research blogs that specialize on key stories for their own work, as it has happened on Marathon Pundit.

    We have feelings too, and I've eased off--a bit--on a couple of people because they showed some class in contacting me and I realized they weren't total ogres.
    Or perhaps they fooled me.

    On my end, I realized that there is much to benefit a blogger by keeping cordial--if chilly relations with a politician or MSM reporter. And it can benefit you.

    Think it over.

    Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, I'm not at liberty to get into specifics--at this time--on who, what, etc.

    And don't laugh us off if a few hundred people visit certain blogs each day. Go to Google, Type in "Joe Moore, Wal-Mart." A post of mine about you comes up write on top.

    Welcome to the 21st Century.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Keep it classy.