Connect

Notes From the Underground

There are more conservatives in Rogers Park than most folks realize. Most of them are underground. They blend in. They get along. We know that persecution is just a politically incorrect chuckle away. I am grateful to the author of the following, and regret that I must keep her name unwritten. She deserves credit for this piece. Although it is short, it packs a punchI have edited it only as much as needed to preserve her privacy. She surely realizes, as do I, that it will be ridiculed. But then, that is addressed by her, too. Hi Tom, I would post on your blog that I actually attended the .... event ... week before last. However, because we live in the People’s Republic of Rogers Park, where the Thought Police brook no debate or even dialogue, well, I have to keep silent. Hello 1984. I’d also post that I’ve met Ann Coulter (I even have her email address) and that she’s a riot and a lovely person but, well, that would get me in almost as much trouble as admitting that I was within arm’s reach of Cheney and didn’t spit. Now, isn’t it a said state of affairs that an adult can’t publicly talk about an interesting event that they attended or fascinating people they’ve met because a segment of society has done a very good job of marginalizing a perfectly honorable political philosophy? One of these days you’ll have to come out from wherever you are hiding and meet the real radicals of Rogers Park. Dear X, You and I seem to be of very similar minds. I would respectfully say that the Thought Police win only if we let them, and to speak your mind is the best defense. Don't allow them to win. That said, may I publish excerpts of your letter anonymously? Kind regards Tom, I totally agree with you [that] the Thought Police winning.... [A writer] gave a talk at a CA University a couple of years ago and took a page out of Saul Alinsky and told the students that they had to grab control and not wait for permission. The more we keep quiet, the more we are driven underground which is EXACTLY everything I don’t stand for and, oddly, my friends used to be with me on this. They tell me I’ve changed but I as I see it, I’ve been remarkably consistent – at least insofar as I tend to swim against the tide....It’s a sad state of affairs. Yes, you may publish my comments anonymously.
Done. Keep the Faith, baby, and up the Revolution.

3 comments:

  1. I find myself bouncing like a pinball off the left and the right, which I suppose means I am a centrist. I agree with your friend, and I believe that political correctness is strangling reasoned argument and debate. You can't use certain words or metaphors because people will be offended. It seems to me that we need to relearn the various forms of humor, and recognize maliciousness when it really appears and not attach it to every unwelcome statement. However that takes knowledge, discipline, maturity, and wisdom. All seem to be in short supply.

    Instead, I see personal attacks in lieu of debate on the issues and the arguments raised both pro and con. That is the approach of an illiterate, frenzied mob and is never helpful, however emotionally satisfying it may be.


    I'll get off my soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little righties unable to rule the world. You don't see Bush reading your thoughts and email and phone calls but the liberal are the thought police, how perfect for you. You just deny the horrors that Bush Cheney has brought the world but you and Miss X are the ones attacked for your 'thoughts'. Tell me Tom it's almost 10am in Chicago is it daylight out side? Just asking cos fact are only so if righties think so. Evolution, Climate change, don't crack your world of reality maybe you're like your mascot Terri Shivo, just kind of brain dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Couch Captain,
    Thank you for your kind, compassionate note. And thank you for proving our point.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Keep it classy.