Connect

Dear Fellow Bloggers: Your Advice Please

Dear Colleagues: I am trying to find information regarding press credentials from the City of Chicago. I consider "press credentials" to be anti-First Amendment and a way for a friendly-faced tyrannical city government to control the free flow of information, but decided to fight the system is from within, so to speak. A web search for "press credentials" and "City of Chicago" proved frustrating. There is plenty of info about obtaining credentials for specific events, but not a general credential. By the way, how long do you think it will be before some genius in City Hall decides that consumers of the media should be required to have credentials to obtain access to news? Unfortunately, my late father did not leave a small publishing company to me, complete with press passes. Do any of you, dear colleagues, have suggestions for a poor journalism major? Kind regards

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a related post on my blog earlier this evening:

    http://in-the-stream.blogspot.com/2007/03/troubling-news-and-attempts-to-suppress.html

    Let me know if someone responds to the press credentials question, but I'd also like to get some clarification from somebody with legal expertise related to what can and can't be prohibited as far as recording in the public sphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just about anyone can conjure invisible press credentials out of thin air, using the following gestures and "magic" words, exactly as written:

    My press credentials? Why, of course. (Pat your pockets)

    Oops, they're in my other pants!

    (Variant names of this technique have be called the Jim Rockford Improv Method or the Carl Kolchak Feint)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Keep it classy.