Actors who glorify guns and butchery demand a vague "plan" to stop the same violence and killing that they glamorize in film and television...
|Hypocrisy in Action: Celebs 'Demand a Plan'|
These actors glorify guns and killing, but they want you to "demand a plan" to stop real-life killings.
Look, we're all for stopping the violence. The real issue here is the hypocrisy and stupidity of the celebrities who appeared in a video called "Demand a Plan to Gun Violence." (Watch it below.)
In response to that video, a video titled "Demand a Plan? Demand Celebrities Go F*** Themselves" points out the double standard and hypocrisy of those celebrities. The response video was posted by "Mike Hunt" (hey, maybe that's his real name) on YouTube on Dec. 25, 2012.
The celebrities' plea to "demand a plan" is vague at best; they suggest no plan themselves. The video was put out by a group called "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" (MAIG) as a response to the Dec. 14, 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. 28 people died in that horrific attack, including gunman Adam Lanza. At the MAIG website, there is a proposal for action, but no part of their "plan" would prevent another Adam Lanza from stealing his mother's guns and going on a killing spree. SEE THE VIDEOS BELOW.
Video: "Demand A Plan to End Gun Violence"
Advisory: Liberal stupidity; Pretensions of Intelligence
The hypocrisy of it all is simple enough. As mentioned above, these very same celebrities glamorize guns and killing in their films. In addition, they all put their heads in the sand when confronted with the reality that violent films and television shows influence the mentally unstable among us. For those who dispute this, please remember that many of these same celebrities insisted that "violent rhetoric" from politicians such as Sarah Palin causes violence. Hollywood is unwilling to accept their double standard, or any responsibility for their own influence on violence in America. There is no mention of mental illness in this video, as part of their "plan."
Video: "Demand A Plan? Demand Celebrities Go F*ck Themselves [Extended Version]"
Advisory: Language; Depictions of Violence
Be sure to read the description posted with this video.
A wonderful column by Mick LaSalle, movie critic for The San Francisco Gate, wrote this today:
"Just as there is profit in violence, there is enormous profit in pornography, and yet our films don't routinely depict graphic sex acts for two reasons: (1) The public wouldn't stand for it; and (2) Critics would feel on solid ground deploring it. It's time to stop behaving as if we were paralyzed. It's time to lose our squeamishness about confronting screen violence - and the monolith of profit behind it - and to start acting like a community."Sadly, you won't see that as part of the "plan" called for by the hypocrites in "Demand A Plan to End Gun Violence."
The "plan" that MAIG proposes is completely unoriginal. On their website they say that "we can prevent future tragedies by passing common sense legislation that will" do the following:
- Require a criminal background check for every gun sold in America
- Ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines
- Make gun trafficking a federal crime, with real penalties for “straw purchasers”
While the gun show loophole is a legitimate concern, this issue did not pertain to Adam Lanza because he used Nancy Lanza's guns, which she legally purchased at a gun store, not at a gun show. The notion that "real penalties" for "straw purchasers" will make a difference is also naive. If someone with a criminal background, or other legal barrier, wants to buy a guy they might use a "straw purchaser." That is, someone with a clean record who is willing to obtain firearms for them. The straw purchaser knows that they are breaking the law. Sure, some people might be discouraged if penalties are made significantly tougher, but there will always be evil people who are willing to make straw purchases.
|Which of these signs is more likely to deter a killer?|
Connecticut already has a tough anti-"assault weapons" ban in place. Nevermind that the school was a "gun-free zone." Criminals and lunatics do not obey the law. Unless we can magically cause every single firearm on the planet to disappear, and more from being produced, no new gun laws can prevent another tragedy like those at Sandy Hook, Columbine or anywhere else.
Finally, a question for Liberals: Why do you think a ban on firearms would work, when you keep insisting that the prohibition on illegal drugs does not?
- Town near Sandy Hook launches $25 violent video game buy-back iOwnTheWorld
- Violent media poisoning nation's soul SFGate
- Demand Celebrities FishingBuddy.com
- From Gun Violence to Tax Breaks Hollywood Holds a Double Standard PolicyMic
- People don't stop killers. People with guns do NY Daily News
- 'Demand celebrities go f*** themselves': Video argues stars calling for gun control are hypocrites because of their violent roles in TV and movies Mail Online
- So what weapons did Adam Lanza use in the Connecticut shooting? Evil Blogger Lady
- Violent movies can increase violent responses in real life Virginia Tech
- Lock & Load: A video essay about the role of guns in film Vimeo
- The Harmful Effects of Violent Movies Annenberg School for Communications, Univ. of Penn.
- Violence in the Media: Effects on Children YouTube
- When Movie Violence Helps Inspire Real Violence... Huffington Post
- 10 Facts for Liberals: Why Gun Control Can't Stop Another Newtown Massacre Townhall