Connect

Heartland Alliance: Out of Both Sides of Their Mouth

A great comment from a reader sheds some light on the "stealth rehab" operation on Lunt Avenue. You'll find some surprises in what the writer has to say (all emphasis added by me): Greetings from Fargo (Avenue, that is): Thanks for posting the link to the News-Star article about the stealth rehab on Lunt. I've been monitoring the News Star website all day and couldn't find the article. It's probably just me; I am techno challenged. Anyway, in the article, Moore (I assume it's referring to Alderman Joe Moore) is quoted as saying that he wasn't aware of any zoning issues concerning the supportive living arrangement. He goes on to say, "I know of a number of programs that rent housing units to house their clients, some involving entire buildings, and the zoning code has never been implicated." That's patently untrue. When the apartment building I lived in for over 20 years was taken over by "A Safe Haven," I raised the issue of it being a possible breach of the zoning codes. At that time I was informed that as long as the building was available for rent to the general populace it was considered residential and did not compromise any codes. Of course, I was in the middle of a heated battle for my home, my rights as a tenant and for the rights of my neighboring tenants so I must admit I didn't pursue the issue any further. Additionally, my lawyer suggested there were more than enough other issues surrounding what was happening to us that, in this particular instance, whether or not they had a special use permit was the least of their worries. He was right. We settled out of court for a substantial amount. However, that is not to say Joe and Kevin Cosgrove weren't made well aware of the fact that such facilities do require permits. I'm sure it hasn't gotten past you that Heartland Alliance is talking out of both sides of their mouth on this issue. On the one hand they declare grandiose practices of concentrated support: "The 60-day program also offers wrap-around services such as case management, mental health counseling, employment work force referrals, and other substance abuse treatment, if needed. Participants are supervised 24/7 by on-site supervisors who rotate shifts." But then the article says, "Heartland Human Care Services stated that its supportive living units are not subject to special zoning requirements. Since participants are not receiving drug rehabilitation at its supportive living residences, health inspections by the Chicago Department of Health and the state are not required." But isn't the question here actually whether a special zoning permit is required? Those are governed by the Chicago Zoning Board of Appeals. Who said anything about health inspections by the CDH or the state anyway? Any time someone protests a question by offering information not requested I automatically wonder what they're trying to hide. Thanks for the wonderful work you're doing in your blog coverage. I enjoy reading your perspectives, though I may not always agree with them. Of course, diversity of ideas are one of the many things that make Rogers Park such a wonderful place to live. Blog on, my friend! - Peace - Dear Fargo Woman, Thanks for your thoughtful comment. I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to get a rational and intelligent email from somebody in Rogers Park, and I hope you continue to write.